Sunday, March 25, 2012

I LIGHT THE FIRE!

Ahh the old fireplace! Many a years ago these old friends were used to cook and for sources of heat. Cut to a century or two later and now they are more for aesthetics than anything.
The notion of the fireplace has largely shifted from a heat source to an eye pleaser of convenience and decoration and show. Most homes have gas or electric fireplaces and on ROGERS television boxes you can watch the fire log channel if you want to simulate the warmth and good feelings of yesteryear.
Now that is not to say NOBODY uses these contraptions for heat anymore. Many cottagers still use wood burning and fireplaces as do some older houses.
I remember growing up in a house built around 1974. It was fully intact with a checkered brick fireplace…it was glorious. I remember crisp, thick logs sitting under the mantle and the fresh wood burning scent going through the chimney and into my nostrils.
It is moments like these that imprint themselves in our minds. To be honest, a new generation is missing out on something wonderful! Yes, the new fangled fireplaces of today have easy cleanup and setup but the ones of yesteryear are memory machines. They created good times.
I say we bring back the wood burning fireplace. Builders are you listening? I know that if my new build had an authentic feel of the past I would be game.
Sometimes memories are more important that the EASY factor…Do you not agree?
The scent. The look. The sound.
I AM ALREADY THERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment